Sunday, September 27, 2009

Back in the Saddle

I have long waited for this: after 6 months of riding abstinence, I am on top of the horse again. The first time I stepped into the stirrup and pulled myself into the saddle felt invigorating. I had not realized how much I had missed this feeling. Of course, the horses had not been rode in months, so I expected having to do some fixing. Copper has not forgotten anything, other than the need to be more flexible....yep, you got that right, we did a lot of flexing a-la-Clinton-Anderson and she could stand more. King on the other hand was a little rusty in stops and back ups, plus when trotting straight wanted to shoot right out from under of me: that's the barrel horse in him, he wanted to go. No, let's take it easy for a few more times, until my bottom is completely healed.
Plus for a second he was alley sour again...a psychological issue we have been healing in him from the day we got him 5 years ago...it was back, but just until I touched my spur to his ribs once or twice. Then he remembered that we had been over that!


Last night, Lora, Charlie and I went on a Sunset Ride.



Riding off into the sunset.


It was nice, except for the bugs. Horses did great.

No comments: